Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dennis and Me

One of my weaknesses for which I will doubtless be held accountable is my fondness for Dennis Miller's "rants." In pale imitation of my hero, forthwith...

Having put up most of my life with those whose social ethics I generally agreed with but whose personal ethics I disagreed with, I find myself unbelievably frustrated at having now to put up with those whose personal ethics I agree with, but whose social ethics I don't.
For instance: I suspect that I agree with W. and with Rick Perry on parental notification laws. How to set them up, and how the social work people should, on the ground, deal with things allows for much experimentation. But in general, I think it is a bad plan to eviscerate the concept of a minor at law--we do not keep our kids kids long enough as it is--and parental notification (for abortion, permanent tatoos, marriage licenses, whatever) seem an appropriate part of that to me. Similarly, I find school prohibitions on Christian groups using school grounds for gatherings inexcusable if the schools allow any groups to do so--and I think they should. Why have an empty building every weekend, each evening, all summer, which could be used for community events and groups?
On the other hand, I bet I generally agreed with Clinton administration officials on historic preservation and cultural management regulations, antipollution laws, national health insurance, and increasing public transportation (mainly here I mean trains).
But I was so frustrated that the gay rhetoric that makes sex a social ethical issue rather than a personal ethical issue was so dominant then; I couldn't stand the aiding and abetting given to doctrinnaire Darwinians seeking to stifle Christian input. And on and on.
And, similarly, on the other hand, boondoggles like Perry's giant highway contracts (when what's needed is a bullet train), legalized criminality like Bush's exempting corporations from reporting requirements (there's no reason to do that unless something inappropriate is going on), the constant giving of tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy at the expense of the middle class--every single thing they do seems to be wrong, and seems to mock my common ground with them on faith issues. Sigh.

It's the morning, and I feel calm. When I'm angrier in an afternoon post sometime, I'll return to this subject in ways guaranteed to garner hits...

As Keith Green used to sing, come away, come away, come away with me, my love, come away from this mess...

3 Comments:

Blogger some chick said...

that's the best keith green song ever.

dude, your rants are MILD. I guess there are those of of us whose rants are spicy enough for everyone, then? heh-heh.

we miss your backyard.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Well, I was going to say,

I think $%@* &*&^%*& for *&(*&%_$@#$@ and moreover $@%%^${}. In the final analysis, it seems that #%$$#% a small farm animal $#^% %^^ and ^%$^$). Have a pleasant day.

But I couldn't quite get it out through my fingers.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Keith Green!
KG's music has influenced me more than anything else on the planet almost. I have listened to him for so long. He has also influenced me as a musician, to be very honest and real in my lyrics. Actually, I'd be honored if you'd check out my music on my site. Its very, "Keithish."
Thanks for posting,
-Sean
__________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All of my music is free for download."

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home