Thursday, December 10, 2009

wind power

So I'm a big fan of the Pickens Plan, without feeling a need to be a fan of Boone Pickens--which I think he'd understand. I think it's a fantasy to think that we can go it alone as a nation. Indeed, I think it's a travesty in our interconnected times to think in terms of nations, instead of thinking in terms of neighborhoods and the world. But it's lunacy as long as things are still set up along national lines to send billions to countries with which one is often at odds, and think that is okay because it's buying oil, whereas it's not okay to send a couple hundred million to countries who are on one's side, because that would be foreign aid, which is BAD somehow.

So it is with tiny joy that I note that my College is building a windfarm on top of its downtown Dallas buildings, which may end up providing as much as 30 percent of the electricity use of the College. Happy smiles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rich said...

Just saw this post, Mark. It's interesting you should say this b/c I work down town. And from the lunch room in my bldg I can see the roof of El Centro. And I've been wondering what the weird new fan on the top there is about. Pretty darn cool!

2:29 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi, Mark. I found your comment on neighborhoods and the world interesting because like it or not, we are headed in the direction of some kind of world governing authority. I think it's still a long way off, but from the evidence I've seen, we're going about it all wrong. Where we should be building bridges, we're bombing them (along with anyone who happens to be on them), and the draconian methods being kited to control people at home are bound to fail and make permanent villains of everyone involved. Somehow turning the planet into a hive doesn't seem like the way to achieve world unity.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home