Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reading

Currently reading:

New York Times online
CBS news online
Louisville Courier-Journal online
Johannesburg Mail & Guardian online
Immanuel Kant, The Critique of Practical Reason--an important text I guess I am only now ready for.
Keith Thomas, ed., The Founders of Thought. Lovely English survey of Plato, Aristotle, and Augustine.

Bogged down in the last third of Alexander Dumas's The Three Musketeers.
Can't get going on Elizabeth Kostova's update of Dracula called The Historian, though I want to.
Pacing myself gently through Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan's A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy. Now in the Bhagavad-Gita.
Dabble a bit each night in the Loeb Classical Library Reader to keep Latin and Greek up.

Should be reading something current, but can't really motivate myself to do so. Did read Howard Gardner's Five Minds for the Future, which had bright spots, and re-read John Keegan's fabulous The Face of Battle.

Am using Bob and Michael Benson's Disciplines for the Inner Life for my first systematic (early!) morning quiet time in a while. Very good.

I'm supposed to be on a book lover's site that my Thames cousins put me onto, but by the time I log in to my thirty-third site of the day, I'm just tired of remembering passwords.

But I do read nutrition labels for sodium, potassium, and for saturated vs. mono- or poly-unsaturated fat. Naturally, with all this, I feel like I never get enough time to read...

And you?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Scotty said...

going to school w/ three kids and a wife i try to no longer let my reading be an extramarital affair. i fit it in as i can so here is what am trying to read and what i will be trying to read for a good stint:

A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith-Based Decisions by Hayhoe and Farley. (Hayhoe's sister and bro-in-law were customers/friends @ *$.

Deep Church by Belcher; The Politics of Discipleship by Graham Ward; Augustine's Confessions; Starting Point 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki (essays, notes, sketches, interviews by the famed Japanese animation director); always reading manga

i would really like to read Zizek's Violence and Kierkegaard's Works of Love side by side, but that will have to wait for a holiday.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Scotty said...

good to have you have you back by the way.

11:32 AM  
Blogger LA the plannerd said...

Supposed to be reading "The Revolution Will Not Be Funded" for Social Justice Book Club but it is irritating and I have never been good at doing assigned reading, so instead am devouring "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith, which is quite good.

Also poking a bit into Heath's "I Don't Believe in Atheists" (who wrote "War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning") but feel I should hide it from our atheist roommate.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home