Sunday, September 30, 2007

Making Good Use of an Afternoon

Musings on a Sunday afternoon...

My parents are 157 years old between the two of them, and live an hour's drive away. Dawn's mom lives with us. That's kind of amazing. What a privilege that Dawn and I are near our parents--both geographically and emotionally--at this stage of things.

What else? I am looking forward to reading a lot in the next two weeks, while Dawn and Diane are away. Maybe I will get to write as well.

I've discovered bartleby.com, which looks like a very nice resource, with primary sources, reference works, etc., all reliable without being too academic.

I'm just finishing Purgatorio in my second-in-my-life reading of the Divine Comedy. I'm trying to appreciate Dante for what he is, which I have not heretofore done.

I want to pick a skill or two to develop over the next ten years. Any suggestions? (Remember, I'm 47, so not bungee-jumping and the like, please.)

Peace to all those who love late afternoons, from a morning lover.

2 Comments:

Blogger the nygrens said...

New skill:
Brewer (Contemplative in its processes and meditative in its gift.)

Check out "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. Incredible history and great recipes.

I've found that the process of brewing has increased my patience capacity and that the ability to share the final gift with others is a gift to the self like no other.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

God is shameless, and will try anything: babies with diarrhea, insufferable neighbors who *like* us, long lead-time publishing schedules, brewing, gardening--anything, to get the patience thing through to us.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home